Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Talking to God

>
> Talking to God
>
> Read: Psalm 25:1-5
> Jesus said, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." - John 10:27
>
> Audio: Psalm 25
>
> Bible in One Year: Jeremiah 18-19; 2 Timothy 3
>
> I recently conversed with a friend who described her experiences in talking to God. I was powerfully moved when I heard about how she spent hours pouring out her deepest feelings to her Creator. I wanted to know more about her experiences and to find out what I was missing. After several days dwelling on the matter, I took a long drive by myself.
>
> Eventually I turned off the radio and CD player and started to unload feelings that I had bottled up for a long time. I lost track of time, but I must have spent at least an hour talking to God. Although I didn't hear God answer right away, within in a few days I found myself trying to connect to God and listen for God's voice as I prayed. I do hear God's voice inwardly now, a "still small voice" perhaps like what Elijah heard on Mt. Horeb. (1 Kings 19:12)
>
> At 64 years old, I ask myself, How could I have missed this my whole life? I will be eternally grateful to my friend for talking to me about how she prayed. Following her example opened the door to a deeper relationship with God.
>
>

No comments: