Friday, June 7, 2013

Word For The Day

Once a week, my two-year-old granddaughter and I go on an adventure. Before we drive to the park or the carousel, I buckle my granddaughter into her car seat. Last week, as usual, I found the task challenging. Lifting her into her car seat was awkward. I struggled to position, adjust, and buckle the shoulder straps and then the lap belt. 


The task completed, I looked at my granddaughter - now safe and secure - and let out a deep sigh of relief. She looked up at me with big blue eyes, smiled, and said, "Good job!" I was startled that a two-year-old knew those words, more surprised that she knew when to say them. I felt that my efforts were appreciated and realized that her parents must have been saying, "Good job!" to her as she mastered new skills. I was pleased that she is learning to be an encourager. 


God is the ultimate encourager. We hear encouragement in God's words after Jesus' baptism, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." We follow God's example when we appreciate the efforts of others. Encouragers lift the spirits of struggling people. As the word implies, encouragers fill us with courage for the next challenge. We can speak encouragement to people who need to hear that their efforts are appreciated - and that is all of us.



PrayerDear God, help us to encourage one another in facing the challenges of daily life.  Amen




 
Jeannette

"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough.  Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway." ~ Mother Teresa

No comments: