Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Let God Bless You

Let God Bless You


Late one night, standing on the platform waiting for a subway, I was approached by a homeless man. With no sign of the train, I turned an ear to hear his story - the same story I had heard from many who live on the streets of our city: drugs, crime, the loss of a loved one, and a life in disarray. 


He was just looking for some food. We had a light moment laughing about our favorite sports teams, and I felt moved to help him. As the train pulled in, I handed him more money than he might usually see, knowing it was enough to get him into safe, clean lodging around the corner. 


He was shocked at the gift, and I was shocked at the phrase that came from my lips: "Let God bless you." As the train pulled away, the meaning of that moment hit me. In that instant, God had brought two paths together - one where a blessing was needed and one where many blessings had already been given. I am incredibly thankful for the blessings of my life. 


But in that moment, I could see that I had been blessed to be a blessing, just as Paul had told the Christians in Corinth. Faith turns our hearts to God for blessing in our most dire moments. But that same faith can lead us to approach life with open eyes and open hearts to bless others.

 




 

No comments: