Thursday, July 24, 2014

FW: Word For The Day - July 22, 2014

Lasting Regrets

 

When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long. - Psalm 32:3

 

Audio:  Psalm 32

 

Bible In One Year:  Psalms 31-32; Acts 23:16-35

 

While I was talking with a gifted pianist, she asked me if I played any musical instruments. When I responded, "I play the radio," she laughed and asked if I had ever wanted to play any instrument. My embarrassed answer was, "I took piano lessons as a boy but gave it up."

 

Now, in my adult years, I regret not continuing with the piano. I love music and wish I could play today. That conversation was a fresh reminder to me that life is often constituted by the choices we make - and some of them produce regret.

 

Some choices produce much more serious and painful regrets. King David discovered this when he chose to sleep with another man's wife and then killed that man. He described the guilt that filled him as devastating, saying, "When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was turned into the drought of summer" (Ps. 32:3-4). But David acknowledged and confessed his sin to God and found forgiveness (v.5).

 

It is only from God that we can receive the grace of forgiveness when our choices have produced painful regrets. And only in Him do we find the wisdom to make better choices.

 

Father of mercies, forgive me for the foolish choices

I have made. Please enable me to be wiser in

my choices. Teach me the value of resting

in Your grace.

 

God's forgiveness frees us from the chains of regret.

 

 

No comments: