Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Don’t Forget to Ask

 

Don't Forget to Ask

 

 

Read:  Mark 11:20-25

Jesus said, "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."  - John 14:14

 

Audio:  Mark 11

 

Bible In One Year:  Judges 13-15; Luke 6:27-49

 

Since childhood, I have struggled with stuttering. In elementary school I hated reading in front of my classmates. Family members were impatient, and friends teased me by asking me to say words I couldn't pronounce. My speech problem became a joke that I learned to laugh about as well.

 

Then, one day, while reading my Bible I began to notice the word ask. That's it, I thought to myself. Jesus told us we could ask for anything in his name and he would do it. In prayer, I began to cry out, asking God to take this aggravation from me. God's response came when I stumbled across a website dedicated to people who stutter.

 

It suggested that sometimes stuttering can be worsened by not breathing deeply enough before speaking.  Really? I thought. Could it be that simple? I began to remind myself to breathe deeply before speaking, and my stuttering problem slowly went away.

 

We all have personal issues and unfortunate life circumstances that God wants to help us with. What are we holding on to that can be given to God? Whatever it is, if we trust what Jesus promised in John 14:14, we can pray daily, asking for help. Then we can wait expectantly for God's answer.

 

 

No comments: