Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Blessing of the Day

 

When my husband left me with three children and a mortgage, I thought my life was close to impossible to bear. I never had enough time, money, or help to get through the day. I struggled not to feel sorry for myself, especially when it seemed as if everyone around me had a wonderful life.

 

Then one day I read about someone who practiced thinking of three things to be thankful for at the end of each day. I decided to try it. At first, I could think only of simple things - like being thankful for electricity and hot water for showers. Then I realized that I had always taken those things for granted and that I really should be thankful for them.

 

As I continued this daily practice, it became easier; I began to notice more and more things to be thankful for. I learned to be thankful for a phone call from a friend, the smell and beauty of a freshly mowed lawn, the sound of my children laughing, and dinner on the table in the evening.

 

This gratitude has helped me to realize how many blessings God gives us every day that we seldom take the time to notice. In turn, my gratitude has made my burdens easier to bear.

 

1 comment:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Only five minutes ago I was saying this while sorting laundry!!