Friday, November 12, 2010

Giving Gets God's Attention

 

11/12

Psalm 107:9

No More Sitting Around

Some people say,”I’ve got a lot of problems of my own. I don’t care about sowing seeds. I want to know how I can get out of my mess.” This is how you can get out of your mess. If you want God to solve your problems, help solve somebody else’s problem.

 

For instance, if you are lacking in friends, don’t sit at home alone month after month, feeling sorry for yourself. Go to the nursing home or the hospital and find somebody you can cheer up. If you’ll start sowing seeds of friendship, God will bring somebody great into your life. When you make other people happy, God will make sure that your life is filled with joy. Be more seed-oriented than need –oriented. Think about what kind of seed you can sow to get yourself out of that need.

 

11/13

Acts 2:44-45

In a Time of Need

I remember when my father launched our church’s first building program. We didn’t have much money, but there was a little Spanish church down the street that had plans to construct a new sanctuary too. One Sunday morning my dad announced that we were going to take up a special offering, not for our new building, but for the Spanish church. Several thousand dollars came in that morning, which went straight down the road. The truth is, we needed the money more than they did, but my father understood the importance of getting some seed in the ground. Amazingly, it wasn’t long before we had all the money we needed to get to work on our building project. We’ve lived by that principle ever since, and God has always met our needs.

 

11/14

2 Corinthians 9:8

Giving Gets God’s Attention

In the Bible, a roman named Cornelius and his family became the first recorded Gentile household to experience salvation after the resurrection of Jesus. Why was Cornelius chosen for this honor? Cornelius was told in a vision: “Your prayers and charities have not gone unnoticed by God!” Don’t let anybody convince you that it doesn’t make any difference whether you give. I’m not suggesting that you can buy miracles or that you have to pay God to meet your needs. But I am saying that God sees your gifts and acts of kindness. It please God when you give and He will pour out His favor on you.

 

No comments: