Thursday, September 4, 2014

Truth Precedes Change

                                                                                                Truth Precedes Change

                                                                And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.   JOHN 8:32

 

Is there something you'd like to change about yourself or the way you live?  Change begins with truth.  It's almost impossible to see the need for change or to know how we should change if we don't face the truth about where we are.  In the process of change, admitting the truth about ourselves is often the hardest part.  We don't need to feel guilty about the way we are, we just need to ask God's forgiveness and be excited about change.

 

Let me share a practical example of how facing truth and changing has worked in my life.  If I'm eating too much and don't want to face the truth about that, I will make excuses.  "My metabolism must be slowing down." "The dry cleaners shrank my pants." Excuses can be endless! Excuses, though, are actually reasons stuffed with lies.

 

Once I decide to stop making excuses, I can admit the truth.  "I've been eating too much and that's why I've gained weight."  When I say that I am taking responsibility for the problem.  That's the truth, and it will set me free.

 

I have had to face many truths in my past and still do.  If we want to change, we have to start with the truth.  Ask God to reveal truth to you about you!  When he does if it begins to hurt, just realize that the pain you feel is actually a healing  pain that is working toward your freedom and increased peace and joy.

 

Love Yourself Today: "Lord, help me to see and admit the truth about every area in my life, and with your help, make the changes I need to make."

 

 

No comments: